Friday, May 26, 2017

D.I.Y. Projects February to May


DIY Logo with Border
Faux Arched Window Topper Under $1.00
We installed faux blinds over our bathtub in our bathroom (from Home Depot).  I’ve been looking at this space above the blinds wondering what I could put up there that looks good and finishes off the window.  We checked into a custom topper but they are very expensive.  I tried using sheer material and I also tried to use extra faux slats that we had from another window and neither of them worked.
I got an idea to use a foam board (20x30) from my local dollar store.  It turned out really good and it gave me the look that I wanted all along!
I cut a decorative piece for the front and I was done!  The fit is tight enough in the arch that I didn’t have to secure it or glue it into the window frame.
1 Before2 After
BEFORE  and  AFTER  photos
3 Before4 After
It’s certainly not perfect and I don’t think anyone will notice, but it works, and for only $1.00!!  I still have some foam board left over for other projects.
5  After
I started off by cutting a 2 1/2” wide base the length of the window so I could hot glue the slats to it.
IMG_6750
I measured from the base to the top of the arch and made my cut.  Each slat was 2” wide and  I made the slats 1 1/2” apart, but I think they would have looked better at 2” apart.  I had to climb up on the tub for every measurement, then get back down to do the cut and hot gluing.  So it took about 3 hours to complete this simple project, but well worth the time.
IMG_6751IMG_6752IMG_6753
This is a view of it laying down.
IMG_6756
I cut and glued a decorative arched piece for the front and the Faux Arched Window Topper Under $1.00 was done!
IMG_6754

Patchwork for Master Bedroom Under $5.00
I’ve had this frame for years and it’s just taking up space in my closet.  I took it apart, painted it with left over paint from another project, and I’m going to give away the print.
BEFORE
1IMG_6803
AFTER
7IMG_4893
I first had to figure out the size of each square to fit in the frame.
2IMG_6811
These remnants are super cheap at Triad Fabrics in Roseville.
3IMG_6812
Made a template and cut the fabric.
4IMG_68145IMG_6817
After figuring out the pattern layout and sewing everything together, I added 1/4” trim to make it look like the squares were separated with a thin strip of “wood”.  I found out quickly that sewing on such a small trim can distort the square, especially those squares that have lines in the design.  I love the colors but don’t love the crooked lines… urgh!!  I used a basting stitch for everything so if and when I decide to take the whole thing apart and start over, it won’t be horrible to rip out the stitching.  It’s hanging on the wall and the colors look great in our room.
6IMG_6821

Saving The Lemon Tree - March

We planted this lemon tree 3 years ago in the ground and it did not do good at all.  We had to baby the hell out of it and nothing was working.  Hank built this little green house out of PVC and heavy plastic for the winter time in an effort to save it from the cold and frost… that didn’t work either!
Lemon Tree-Dec 2015Lemon tree greenhouse 5
So after 2 1/2 years we decided to pull it up, dig an even bigger hole and build a raised bed with lots of good dirt.  We thought for sure that giving it that extra really good dirt it would grow… NOT!!!  We decided to give it one last try and move it to the other side of the house where there is more protection from the wind & cold, there is not as much sun, so we were not sure how it would work.  But at this point we had nothing to loose except the tree, which it was loosing it’s life anyway.
Sept 2016
We put it with the other fruit trees we planted last year.  We had to move more fricken rocks… what else is new.
IMG_6865IMG_6868
Dug a big hole and constructed the half circle retaining wall to match the other fruit trees.
IMG_6869IMG_6870
These are just a few of rocks we dug up.
IMG_6872IMG_6874IMG_6875
Here’s the finished product in it’s new home on March 19th.  We were able to do this project in just one day!
IMG_6878
Just 6 weeks later there is so much new growth on the tree, compare the tree above to now!  It’s the best it’s looked and we are so happy we decided to save it.  Can’t wait for the lemons to arrive!!!

 

Raised Garden Bed - March

When we lived in Milpitas we had the BEST garden and produced wonderful fruit & vegetables.  Since we moved to Lincoln in 2005, we have not been able to grow anything in a garden even though we’ve tried many different things and areas… extremely disappointed with this.
We found this really cool 4’ x 8’ garden bed at Costco for $80 that just pops together in a couple of minutes and it has a warranty for 20 years.  We couldn’t even make it for that cheap, so we thought we’d give it a try.
Since we moved the lemon tree, we had the perfect space for it.IMG_6881IMG_6882IMG_6884IMG_6886IMG_6888IMG_6889
We thought we were being very proactive to plant the garden just a few days before we left for a 16 day vacation.  We thought it would have a 2 week head start in growing.  Little did we know that the weather would be horrible when we were away.  Rain, hail, high winds, no sun… WTF????  Our poor little garden is off to a bad start and almost got beat to death.  Hopefully it will start growing soon.Angry smile
Garden March 27, 2017

Bar Closet Make Over-LONG Ongoing Project
We have a closet behind our wet bar and we just have extra beverages stored in it.  We really don’t need a “closet” so we decided to make it an extension of the bar area.
IMG_6738
First thing was to install electrical for the wine refrigerator (which was given to us), under counter lighting, and outlets for plugging things in.
IMG_6763
Next, we removed the baseboards and door frame.
IMG_6791IMG_6794
We installed the archway and the drywall.
IMG_6829IMG_6837IMG_6841
We then installed the dry wall bead and started mudding.  Little did we know what we were getting in to and the problems that it led to.  The problem is the opening at the top is very small, therefore we really had to bend the bead to follow the arch.  Hence, the bead slats were popping out and showing every little uneven bend.  We actually had to staple down the edges all the way around the beaded arch.
IMG_6850IMG_6852IMG_6859IMG_6854IMG_6856IMG_6862IMG_6891
Dry wall work is VERY messy, from the mud to the terrible dust.  We’ve been at this for over 2 months due to being out of town so much and attending to other projects and life in general.  Our house is a mess, but we WILL finish this damn project!!!  I will publish more pictures in future blog updates, so stay tuned.

IMG_6899

Fence Repair
 
We had a rotted out post on the side of our house that needed repair.  We fixed it and all we need to do is paint it.

IMG_7174IMG_7171IMG_7175IMG_7177IMG_7180IMG_7182IMG_7183


Christmas Stocking
 
I had been using the same Xmas stocking since 1977, so I thought it was about time I got a new one, right?!?!?  I knew I wanted something with fur so I went to the fabric store armed with my coupons in an effort to make it inexpensively.  I could have just purchased a stocking, but that’s no fun!  I got everything on sale and made it for $12 and I have enough fur left over for another small project.
Lesson learned:  working with fur is a pain in the ass!!
It took a while to make because I didn't have a pattern nor instructions, but I figured it out. It turned out really good after lining it, adding the fur, and a little bling... I'm good to go!
IMG_4453IMG_4456IMG_4457IMG_4458IMG_4459IMG_4461IMG_4467IMG_4469

No comments:

Post a Comment